Yesterday was my first day of TMC (ever), and it was amazing! It’s like PCMI meets NCTM on speed. I’m overwhelmed with all the awesome ideas I’ve already stolen and the stupendous people I’ve already met. Shout outs to finally meeting Julie Reulbach and Elizabeth Strathmore!
Some quick notes on ideas I’m stealing to summarize my Day 1:
- Talking Points, Talking Points, Talking Points. Elizabeth is a genius. And I want to make mathy ones and mesh it with my debate stuff!
- Circles. I already love talking circles. I have some more ideas to add, including a center focus point. Again, Elizabeth is a genius.
- Having students interview people! What’s better: fractions or decimals. Omg yes! SO much power here.
- Friday letters! Shout outs to Rebekah! A great way for students to have an alternative to the DO NOW, a chance for quiet students to talk to me, a space for any student to share something with me privately.
- I need to read Principles to Action article.
- When putting up homework solutions, put up multiple solution methods/interpretations!
Off to Day 2!!